Domaines Schlumberger is located in Alsace, in eastern France.
In the sixteenth century, the Prince Abbots of the Murbach abbey were largely controlling the vineyard. The French Revolution, at the end of the eighteenth century, led to the end of their influence and allowed land redistribution.
In 1810, Nicolas Schlumberger (1782-1867) set up his textile machinery factory in Guebwiller. To mark his attachment to the land, he also bought about 20 hectares of vines. In doing so, he laid the foundations of a rare conjunction of human search for perfection and land: the Domaine Schlumberger.
Three generations later, Ernest Schlumberger (1885–1954) assumed control of the estate.