When brothers Hugh and John Stevenson arrived at the frontier of the Hebrides Islands in 1793, they found little more than a natural harbor and a windswept view. Here they opened the Oban Brewing Company, their ‘Cowbell Ale’ being the first production.
They started distilling whisky the following year.
The business remained in the Stevenson family for three generations, until local merchant Peter Cumpstie purchased it in 1830.
The distillery has changed ownership over the years but fierce commitment to excellence and tradition has been constant.